How to get back iPhone photos that were deleted
If it hasn’t been more than 30 days since you deleted a picture from your iPhone, you can still get it back. This easy-to-follow guide will show you how.
Bring back deleted iPhone photos
When you delete photos or videos from your iPhone, they will stay in the Photos app for 30 days, especially in the album called “Recently Deleted.” This is enough time for you to decide if you want to keep them or delete them for good. All of the photos and videos in the “Recently Deleted” album that have been deleted will be gone for good after 30 days.
If you use iCloud Photos, deleted photos and videos from your iCloud account will be synced. This means that if you delete photos or videos from one of your Apple devices, they will also be deleted from all of your other Apple devices.
It’s easy to get rid of photos and videos on an iPhone. You just need to go to the album that has the file you want to delete, select the file (or files), and then confirm that you want to delete them. But there are times when you might delete an important video or picture file by accident. The new iPhones can undelete media files that were deleted by accident, so you can get back pictures and videos that you accidentally deleted.
If you are new to iOS and don’t know how to do this on your new iPhone, you can recover any media files that you accidentally deleted from the Photos app by following the steps below.
How to get back iPhone photos that have been deleted
Have you erased important photos or videos from your iPhone by accident? Don’t worry about it, it’s okay. To make room for new files, we often delete content at random.
You can get your important photos and videos back, though, because Apple lets you undo the deletion. With the iPhone’s built-in recovery command, you are one step closer to getting back deleted photos:
- On your iPhone, open the Photos app. Find the Photos icon on the home screen and tap on it.
- Tap the Albums tab on the main screen of the Photos app. When you do this, another menu pops up with all of the albums that have related photos and videos.
- Scroll down to see all of the sections, and then tap on Recently Deleted in the utility section.
- On the next screen, you will see all of the photos and videos that you have recently deleted. To go on, tap Select next to the three dots in the upper left corner. When you do this, the Photos app will switch to editing mode.
- You will see three main options at the bottom of the screen: Delete All, Select Items, and Recover All. The “Select Items” tab is highlighted, which means the files are ready to be chosen.
- To choose a photo or video file you want to get back, just tap it. After you choose the files, the options at the bottom change to Delete, (n) Selected Photo, and Recover. To go on, click Recover.
- Then, a command will pop up. To confirm, just tap on Recover Photo.
The files you choose will be taken out of the “Recently Deleted” folder and put back in the folder or album where they came from. To get to the “Recently Deleted” folder and choose the files you want to recover from other recently deleted photos or videos, repeat the same steps.
What happens to deleted pictures and videos after 30 days?
If you can’t find the files you want to get back or they are no longer in “Recently Deleted Photos,” they are probably gone for good. Photos and videos that have been permanently deleted from an iPhone can no longer be recovered unless iCloud Photos is turned on.
Get back photos that have been permanently deleted from iCloud
You can store your photos and videos safely in iCloud and get to them from any device at any time with iCloud Photos. Make sure you use the same Apple ID on iCloud as you do on your iPhone. You can use third-party apps to get back permanently erased photos from your iPhone. This is also how to get back recently deleted photos on iPhones with iOS 15 or higher.
Different devices and models may have different-looking interfaces, screens, and menu items, so it’s important to keep your software up-to-date to use all of its features and options.
Here’s how to get back photos that you just deleted from a new Apple iPhone.